2.36 oz. Carbon Fiber +/-45 Spread Tow Sample Swatch Textreme® 1013
TeXtreme®'s Spread Tow fabric (STF) is a unique fabric that increases performance as well as reduces laminate weight up to 20%. TeXtreme® XT3004 utilizes a 12K/40 gsm/20mm wide unidirectional tape to produce a fabric with a fiber weight of 2.36 oz/yd2. The fabric is woven in a +/- 45 degree rather than the typicaly 0/90 degree orientation. The woven fabric is stabilized with an epoxy compatible binder that is 0.29 oz/yd2 (10gsm) to hold the material together and to allow for easy cuts, trimming or slitting with clean edges and no fraying. The weight of the fabric does not include the weight of the binder and should be considered when determining in the amount of epoxy needed for a laminate.
What makes this fabric different that traditional woven fabrics is TeXtreme®'s proprietary spreading technology. Traditionally, the tow used to weave composite fabrics is round or oblong in nature. This presents challenges when trying to achieve low aerial weights and has shown lower mechanical properties of a fabric because of inherent crimp or waviness that is being introduced in the fibers.
As an example, a typical 200 gsm 3K Plain Weave 50” wide fabric will have about 23,000 places where the weave overlaps, also called a crimp. Each crimp in the fabric has a very small area where excess resin will accumulate. By spreading the tow, the number of crimps is eliminated by over 90% which in turns eliminates the amount of area where excess resin can accumulate. In one yard of fabric you reduce over 21,000 of these super small resin pools yielding a part that is almost 20% lighter than a standard laminate.
- Achieve thinner laminates
- Reduce weight by 20% or more
- Desirable appearance
- Smooth and low porous surface finish
- Easy to handle, cut and place
- Formula One & NASCAR Sprint Cup Racing
- Cryonic tanks, aircraft interior components or UAVs
- Hockey sticks and golf shafts
- Thin ply carbon diaphragms
Please note: All data to be used as a guide only; not a specification.
- Epoxy Resin
- Polyester Resin
- Vinyl-ester Resin
- For the best cosmetics, the side without the binder should be placed onto the mold surface.
- The fabric is shipped with a plastic liner on one side to prevent the binder from sticking to the layer beneath it. The binder will start to soften at 65° F for improved processing at room temp.